Isaacs & Co. is looking for an Associate Lawyer with 3-5 years experience in commercial and insurance litigation. The successful candidate will support our transportation and commercial litigation practices as well as have exposure to maritime, insurance defence litigation and insurance coverage work.
An associate can expect to work on challenging files, requiring detailed problem-solving in a broad range of practice areas.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Meet with and liaise with clients, opposing counsel, and necessary third parties;
- Draft Applications, Motions and other documents including Financial Statements, Affidavits, Case Conference Briefs, Settlement Conference, Trial records, case books, contracts, and other court related documents;
- Participate in contested court hearings, examinations and arbitrations;
- Negotiate and draft settlements;
- Prepare of orders;
- Manage Continuing Records;
- Manage clients’ and practice; needs;
- Conduct legal research;
- Liaise with process servers and court personnel;
- Opening and closing files using high-quality protocols; and
- Manage the physical and electronic client files in accordance with Law Society, firm policies and procedures.
- Intelligence, integrity, industriousness and mindfulness;
- At least three to five years of experience working in litigation;
- Solid knowledge of the Commercial Litigation
- Strong drafting and speech skills. Excellent drafting skills;
- Organized with careful attention to detail and accuracy, even under pressure;
- Professional and dependable with a strict adherence to client and firm confidentiality;
- Competent in priority ranking and completing tasks in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment;
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel) as well as Adobe, and PC Law; and
- Member in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada. LLB. or J.D. from a recognized university.
Please send resumes and information on relevant work experience to Klaudia@isaacsco.ca by March 16, 2019.
We are hiring again! If you are passionate about working in a law firm environment, have a keen interest in the area of Transportation Law with particular emphasis on truck transportation and maritime shipping, and enjoy working with high energy people, then this role is for you. We are currently seeking to add an intermediate level law clerk to our team of legal professionals.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with counsel, clients and vendors for the collection, review and production of documents
- Assist in the preparation of pleadings, motion records, etc.
- Preparation of Affidavits of Documents
- Prepare for and attend at examinations, hearings and trials where necessary
- Review and summarize transcripts
- Prepare Bills of Cost
- General file and project management in collaboration with counsel
- Prepare/draft routine correspondence and internal reports
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision and meet crucial deadlines
- Professional demeanor and strong client-relation skills
- Ability to work well, and flexibly, in a team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to privacy and ethical conduct
- Strong organization skills, with great attention to detail
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment and prioritize competing deadlines
- Ability to manage a high volume of files
- Adept technical skills using MS Office Word, Outlook, Excel, PcLaw and Worldox
- Minimum of 5 years relevant work experience as a litigation law clerk in a law firm setting or similar
This is an opportunity for a career oriented person looking to grow with a busy and growing practice. Salary will be commensurate with experience and ability.
Please reply in confidence to Klaudia Hideg at firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we wish to thank all those who apply, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
2020-2021 Articling Position
Isaacs & Co. is a downtown Toronto firm specializing in providing Transportation and Insurance Law services for both national and international clients. We litigate in all Courts: from the Ontario Small Claims Court to the Federal Court of Canada and the Ontario and Federal Court of Appeal. Working closely with our lawyers, the articling student will provide support to both our insurance and transportation law practices, assisting the lawyers in all aspects of legal work, including: researching interesting legal issues; providing opinions; drafting pleadings, letters and memoranda; analyzing files; assisting with preparation for examination for discoveries; attending at Superior Court of Justice and Federal Court hearings; preparing motion materials; and personally handling matters before the Small Claims Court. Some of our transportation-related work may include the prosecution and defence of cargo damage claims, the arrest of vessels, advising logistics/freight forwarding companies on cross-border issues, and working with carriers in all modes (marine, surface (road and rail) and aviation). Some of our insurance-related work will include the research and drafting of insurance coverage opinions and the defence of personal injury claims.
Isaacs & Co. will be hiring in accordance with Law Society of Ontario guidelines for the recruitment of articling students. Applications are due by Friday, July 5, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. and interviews will take place starting on August 12th, 2019.
Please direct your cover letter, CV, transcripts and reference letters to, Rachael Bruce at email@example.com. While we thank all students interested in this position, we regret that we will not be able to extend an interview to everyone that applies.